Amaze your friends and family with these 10 facts about the Caracal.
1. The caracal is also known as the desert lynx.
2. As well as the usual ‘cat-like’ sounds of hissing and purring, they also make a barking sound.
3. They have long black tufts of hair on the tips of their ears.
4. Leading on from Fact 3, the name ‘caracal’ comes from the Turkish words ‘kara kulak’ – meaning ‘black ear’.
5. Whilst they favour small prey such as spring hares, mice and birds, they have been known to take down a springbok or a steenbok.
6. They can catch birds by leaping 2-3 meters or more into the air from a standing position.
7. Fur colours varies from reddish-brown to tawny-grey, and occasionally you may find a rare all-black caracal.
8. Caracals are usually solitary animals.
9. Females can give birth to as many as 6 young.
10. Caracals in captivity have been known to live up to 16 years.